The reviews aren’t stellar but do we really care? Our beloved Miami once again made it to the big screen. Miami beach, Coral Gables and of course Little Havana are all represented in the latest remake of Father of the Bride, starring Miami’s own Andy Garcia and Gloria Estefan.
What other films showcase our palm trees and neon sky in the backdrop?
Movies Filmed in Miami
- Scarface: While most of the film was shot in California, the iconic Art Deco scenes were shot on Ocean Drive. The Fountainbleu gets a mention too. Sign up for a South Beach Art Deco Walking Tour to find out more.
- Ace Ventura – Pet Detective: This 1994 comedy with Jim Carrey is about the trials and tribulations of a pet detective trying to uncover the whereabouts of Snowflake, the mascot of the Miami Dolphins. You’ll recognize plenty of the background which includes the old stadium, Coconut Grove and Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.
- The Birdcage: A hit on all accounts, you will see many scenes take place on Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road. The Carlyle Hotel serves as the drag club that Robin Williams’ character owns.
- There’s Something About Mary: You will recognize Miami and Miami Beach in quite a few backdrops to this movie, including the well-known Big Pink diner on South Beach, Red Fish in Matheson Hammock Park, and Coral Gables as the neighborhood where Mary lives.
- Bad Boys 1, 2, 3: All three Bad Boys films with Martin Lawrence & Will Smith were shot in Miami, including a high-speed car chase that took place by the Port of Miami.
- Moonlight: This Oscar-winning film showcases parts of Miami that visitors don’t usually see. Miami native Tarell Alvin McCraney leads the viewer through the life of a gay black man growing up in the masculine Liberty City. South Beach, Virginia Key and Downtown can be seen as well, but the most real of them all are the scenes that take place in Jimmy’s Eastside Diner, a local staple on Biscayne Boulevard.
That’s not all!
Other movies shot in Miami include:
Markey & Me
Any Given Sunday
2 Fast 2 Furious